Shwezigon was first built by King Anaweahta (1044-1077), then completed by Kyansittha (1084-1113). Situated between the village of Wetkyi-in and Nyaung U, Shwezigon enshrines one of the four replicas of the Buddha tooth from Sri Lanka. One interesting thing about Shwezigon is that there is a 10-cm circular indention in a stone slab near the eastern side of the pagoda, which was filled with water. This allows royal families to look at the reflection of the Hti (the tip of the Pagoda) without tipping their heads backward. The pagoda sits on three rising terraces and bell-shaped.
The pagoda architecture is also quite remarkable. Its massive umbrella at the tip of the pagoda is not held in place with iron cables. Also, it was designed so that its shadow never falls outside its boundary walls regardless of the time of the day. The sounds of a drum beats on one side of the pagoda cannot be heard from the other side. Legend has it that during the full-moon festival of Tansaungmon, a rice offering will always be there mysteriously before anyone arrives.
Inle Lake Shan Hills (TaungGyi) Heho
Ngwe Saung Beach
Copyright © 2013 by VisitMM.com. All right reserved.