Shwedagon Pagoda or Paya is said to be more than 2,600 years old, however, according to some historians and archaeologists, it is likely to be built by the Mon people around 6th century at the earliest. Shwe means gold in Burmese and the pagoda was the centre of the ancient Mon city, Dagon. The gilded pagoda dominates Yangon skyline with its 99m (325ft) height.
According to the legend, the pagoda was built by two merchant brothers, Taphussa and Bhallika. The two brothers met Lord Gautama Buddha and received eight strands of the Buddha’s hairs in 588 BCE. Upon their return to Burma, they enshrined the relics on Siguttara Hill where the current site of Shwedagon is with the help of King Okkalapa. The Mon King, Binnya U of Bago, had the stupa rebuilt to 18m in the 14th century, after fallen into despair since it was first built. Queen Shinsawbu raised the Pagoda to 40m in the 15th century and finally it was raised to its current height of 99m by Konbaung Dynasty King Hsinbyushin (1736 – 1776). During the colonial times, Shwedagon Paya was seized by the British and it was under their military control from 1852 until 1929.
|Opening Hours||4:00 am to 10:00 pm daily|
|Admission Fees||US$5 per person.|
|Location||For East entrance Arzarni Road, For West entrance U Wisa Road
For South entrance, Shwedagon Payar Road, For North entrance Arzarni Road
Inle Lake Shan Hills (TaungGyi) Heho
Ngwe Saung Beach
Copyright © 2013 by VisitMM.com. All right reserved.